Sunday, March 20, 2011

The rivers have dropped back into shape and we are finding some fish. We had a big day on the Queets the other day although the only fish landed was about 5 lbs. I had a couple guys cancel today so I did some walking in to a river that I hadn't fished much. On my third run I had some excitement. I started the run at the top thinking, it's a little swift but has a little seam that looks decent. On about my 5th cast down a huge fish just slamms my fly, I see a big flash in the water as I only have about 25 feet of line out. I pull my new 7 wt spey back to set it and snap. The rod breaks just below the first farrel. I did have my drag a little tight but not sure it that was the main reason break. The fish was still on my line so I scrambled to get the broken part of the rod and line. The fish rolls a couple times and as I get the line the fly pops free of the fish. Later I looked at my #2 octopus hook, it got bent out. That was a huge fish and I have never had a fish hit that hard with that much force. Later I went back and got my single handed rod to finish out the run. Further down the run I popped a 11-12 lb fresh fish (in the pic). That was nice, but wasn't like the first fish. We have been getting a little rain each day but it hasn't been much.  Things are lookn good and spring has sprung.

Happy fishing,

Mike And Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment