Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Late winter Steelhead'n



Fridays fish with Pat

 I Fished the Forks rivers after the 15th. Both the Sol Duc and the Bogi. The Bogi had 6+ ft of visibility with a nice emerald green and the sol Duc was pretty clear with at least 8 + ft. The flows on both were a nice median average.
Both have decent #'s of fish with a pretty even mix of new and seasoned fish. I did see a good number of reds on both rivers. I scaled down the size of my flies and fished flies with stinger hooks, a few of the fish we hooked nipped the fly once or twice before getting stuck on the tip of the nose. Clear water fish that see some pressure tend to do that. On the Bogi I fished from 101 down to the hatchery a couple times. It is a long float but and has some nice fly water. There was quite a few gear boats fishing from the hatchery down and I didn't want to try to compete with them.

I did see 2 springers caught on the Sol Duc on Sunday. One of them suprisingly enough from a fly guy drifting a bead egg. Both were chrome bright. My client Bill got into a nice tail out at th end of the day on sunday that produced 3 hook ups with one to hand. It was slow with one good grab till then.

I have 2 open dates on the Bogachiel/Sol duc due to a cancelation that I am discounting on the 26th and 27th of this month. If your interested please inquire - Mike.

I demoed a 7 wt. Echo Solo spey with a 500 grain skagit line. I was pretty happy with it. I have tried a few lower priced speys in the past and have found them bulky, heavier and sloppy. This one had a nice full flex but also not too soft for throwing heavy sink tips and weighted flies. For the price you can't go wrong. I have the 6 wt. too but haven't tried it yet.

Dennis (dad) is off to the Cowlitz in Early May, about that same time I'll be headed out of town to warmer climates in Florida and then the Bahamas. Time to get some real sun damn it!

Happy Fishing,

Mike & Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment