Monday, June 27, 2011

Sex and summer steelhead


 So there we were. Another day out flyfishing the Cowlitz river summer steelhead. New time client, long time angler, Thatcher B. poses a question:
 
"How is steelhead like having sex?"
 
Of course I wasn't sure how to respond, so I asked, "How?"
 
He said, "You don't choose them, they choose you."
 
All I said was "Ah, I get it".
 
Boy, did I get it. The water was a bit on the high side, raising and lowering by the day. Some days the steelheading was most excellent, the next day the fish were a ghost. I will be back in mid-July. Flows should be down and fishing more consistent.
 
Here is a timely write. Check it out. Pacific Salmon in Freshwater
 
Mike and I are scheduled for a most interesting July.
 
As you may have gathered form our home page, we now offer a Skagit River ecology float trip. Couple this with our ongoing steelhead flyfishing schools and guide days, and we barely put one gig down, and we off on another. They say variety is the spice of life. No lack for that!
 
As Mike mentioned in his last blog report, we are already tooling up for another big summer-fall of Humpy salmon. Goes something like this:
 
Aug 16-30 Skykomish River trips
September 1-15 Stilly Tidewater Humpy/Searun Cutthroat
September 16-*30 Skagit Fall salmon
 
(*I take off for my Grande Ronde steelhead 3 day float trips September 24, I think Mikes first GR gig is Oct 3)
 
I apologize I must sound like a friggin used car saleman, but some of these adventures are all but full. Inquire now.
 
So that's all for me. No rest for the wicked.
 
Best of fishing,
 
Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment